Home Heating Support Fund
Shetland Islands Council is encouraging households who might be struggling with energy costs, to consider applying for assistance from the Home Heating Support Fund (HHSF).
The Home Heating Support Fund provides financial relief to Scottish households experiencing significant financial hardship, regardless of the fuel or payment method used.
Eligibility for funding depends on certain criteria being met and evidenced, as follows:
- Spending a large proportion of monthly income on energy costs
- Struggling to maintain an acceptable standard of living
- Self-rationing i.e. deliberately limiting your energy use in order to afford other things
- Receipt of either energy and / or debt advice.
The Council’s Energy Efficiency Team can assist households by offering energy advice and by making a referral to HHSF if necessary. Householders will have to provide permission to pass on personal details to relevant partners including CAB (if additional debt advice is required); the HHSF; and to Advice Direct Scotland who administer the fund, in order for an application to be processed.
In order for HHSF to assess eligibility and also the level of support funding, households will need to provide relevant evidence to the Energy Efficiency Team including:
- Proof of income
- Rural/Remote Status – Proof of address e.g., fuel bill, council tax letter, Bank Statement
- Age (those over 75) – Any official document showing a date of birth (e.g. passport, driving license) preferably including address details.
- Disability or illness – Relevant medical letter, Disability Living Allowance Letter (DLA), Employment and Support Allowance Letter (ESA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Letter.
- Ill-Health – Relevant medical letter, Disability Living Allowance Letter (DLA), Employment and Support Allowance Letter (ESA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Letter
- Higher than average energy bills – Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), or a relevant energy bill.
- Provision of prior energy and/or financial advice – Client Reference Number, Case Notes.
- Level of fuel debt – Up-to-date utility bill, official email from energy supplier, Debt collector letter.
If any householder thinks they may be eligible for this funding and wishes to speak to an advisor please contact the Energy Efficiency Team by email email@example.com or telephone 01595 744179.
The HHSF is open until 31 March 2022. More information is available at www.homeheatingadvice.scot